Cartesian graphs and Nemeth indicators

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Cartesian graphs and Nemeth indicators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Julia Erickson
    Participant

I have a couple of formatting questions about dealing with Nemeth indicators and Cartesian graphs:

In the new <u>Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, 2022</u> under §6.6.2 it states, “The opening Nemeth Code indicator and Nemeth Code terminator are not used before and after multiple-quadrant Cartesian graphs transcribed in Nemeth.” This is understood (see Exercises 5 and 12 on the attached .pdf), but what happens when the graph is preceded or followed by Nemeth text? (See Exercises 4 and 9) For Exercise 4 do I insert the opening Nemeth indicator before the graph at the end of the exercise text and place the terminator at the end of subentry D.? Or, does the opening Nemeth indicator need to be inserted before subentry A? In Exercise 9 I assume that Nemeth continues through the graph with no additional indicators like it was done in the past.

What is done when there is only an exercise identifier and a Cartesian graph on the braille page with no immediately preceding or following Nemeth material? I feel the identifier remains in UEB.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Julia. Let me run this by the tactile graphics folks and get back to you. Thank you for your question.

- Lindy

Lindy Walton

Julia, here is the information I have gathered.

The Cartesian graph is transcribed using Nemeth symbols, but the switch indicators are not transcribed. (They are implied.) Placement of the switch indicators with the surrounding material is decided independent of the graph itself.

The location of the code switch indicators depends upon where you are putting the graph.

As Printed: The formatting guideline from Unit 12 of Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics (GSTG), Section 12.3.1 states, "If the entire item will fit on one page, the braille order of presentation should follow print." This aligns with your post so I am assuming you are able to fit a question, its graph, and its four answer choices all on one page. If that is the case, here is how to handle question 4: An opening Nemeth code indicator should be placed on the line before answer choice A. The Nemeth code terminator will at the end of answer choice D. For question 9, the opening Nemeth code indicator will go before J' in the question and the Nemeth code terminator will at the end of answer choice D.

On a Separate Page: If the question, its graph, and its four answer choices do not fit all on one page, GSTG Section 12.3.1 goes on to say this: "If the entire item will not fit on one page, the question and the answer choices should be together on one page and the graphic on a separate page." In this case, I expect you would insert a transcriber's note between the question and the answer choices pointing the reader to the next page. You would apply code switch indicators as needed before and/or after the TN.

Note that, in either case, if Nemeth is in effect prior to and following the graph, Nemeth will continue onto the next page without the need for explicit code switch indicators.

To answer your hypothetical question, when you have an itemized graph with an identifier and no text, the identifier can be in either code. Usually it will be in the same code as the preceding material. GSTG 6.6.2 says "Item identifiers (such as 1. 2. 3. 4. or A. B. C. D.) are not to be considered part of the graphic."

I hope this sufficiently answers your questions.

- Lindy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.