Footnotes proceeded by superscript number & unspaced from text that follows

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Footnotes proceeded by superscript number & unspaced from text that follows

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Klepper

See attached Sample of footnotes in a textbook. Note: This is a 700+ page textbook and occurs throughout the text.

Observation: The numeric mode was set with the numeric indicator for the superscript note number, and it is unspaced from text that follows. In this case, grade 1 mode is set for the remaining symbol sequence. There are no qualifying symbols to terminate grade 1 mode. (UEB 6.2.1)

What is the preference in UEB?

Option A: Use grade 1 terminator? (UEB 5.5)

Or

Option B: Uncontract the word that follows the number (unspaced)?

UEB 5.9, choice of indicators mentions that words are most easily recognized when presented in contracted form. (This is a contracted textbook.) So, I lean more toward using the G1 Terminator.

Also, some of the words that follow, such as “Throughout” would take 10 cells to uncontract the word. The G1 Terminator is only two-cells.

Please bump to another forum if this question should be in the UEB AE Forum.

Thanks so much for your guidance and advice.

Melissa Klepper

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

I agree that you will need/should use the Grade 1 terminator so that contractions can be used in the words that follow the superscripts.

Cindi

Melissa Klepper

Thank you so much! I appreciate the response and confirmation. I can't tell you how much time I spent on overthinking this one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.