Need help identifying accent symbol

Home Forums Foreign Language Need help identifying accent symbol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Vladetich
    Participant

Hello,

I need help identifying what the curved foreign language symbol is above the double o.  It looks like a circumflex, but this is too curved. Thank you.

Donald Winiecki

Hi Kyle!

It is tricky to try an answer without knowing exactly what you have. I see you tried to upload an example for us. However, it looks like the upload file was too large for the system.

Could you reduce the size of your example and retry the upload for us?

Kyle Vladetich
    Participant

Second attempt at uploading photo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Donald Winiecki

What language is this?

Kyle Vladetich
    Participant

It's English/UEB. The specific section is a pronunciation key in the back of a vocabulary builder book.

Donald Winiecki

As you say this English, and because we can say that the symbols are not currently included in the UEB symbol set, a transcriber-defined symbol (Rules of UEB 3.26) will perhaps be the most economical way of representing this.

The transcriber-defined symbol should be included in the SPECIAL SYMBOLS list if it is used frequently in the materials you are transcribing. If it is used only a few times, a transcriber's note placed immediately preceding its use in text will be appropriate. Follow 3.2.2 in Braille Formats if the latter type of transcriber's note is used.

All of the above considered, because the symbol is found in a pronunciation key in the book, it is also possible that what you have encountered is a particular way of representing the "top tie bar" in the international phonetic alphabet (IPA). The IPA symbol for the top tie bar across two letters is a dot 5 placed unspaced between the tied letters. Its use is displayed on page 22 of the IPA guidebook: https://iceb.org/IPA-braille_print-ed_final.pdf

You may also want to check with the UEB Skills Group for other options.

We hope this helps!

Anna

This looks to me like a ligature - I've seen it come up in pronunciation sections before, although print texts may vary in exactly how it looks.  I've seen ligatures shown before as a line connecting two letters, or as the two letters pushed together so the lines are touching (as in "Cœur").  In pronunciation, a ligature indicates that the two letters make one combined sound.

Ligatures are covered in UEB 4.3: the ligature indicator (dots 45, 235) is brailled in between the two letters ligatured in print.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.