Problem with justification for each step

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Problem with justification for each step

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LindaDB3828
    Participant

How would you format a math problem that has an explanation next to (or below) each step? I see it when learning a new concept to show a student how to get from one step to the next. Another common place I see this is in a geometry proof.

kdejute

Thank you for your question!

First, any format we choose should accomplish two goals:

1. be something we can do consistently for all similar instances
    2. allow the braille user to easily navigate the steps, choosing to read or skip the explanations as they choose

How can we do this? We might use nested indentation, based on principles from Braille Formats 2016. So, each step of a math problem could be formatted in 1-5, and each commentary could be formatted in 3-5. This differentiates the calculation content from the commentary about it (including runovers of both calculation and commentary).

Alternatively, we might go rogue and take inspiration from §26.4.5 of The Nemeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation, 2022 and follow the format described there: "Comments within math problems are placed on the line following the expression, blocked four cells to the right of the runover position of the expression."

However, our guidelines for formatting a UEB Math/Science transcription are Rules of UEB and Braille Formats 2016, so we should use tools from those sources and use a nested list format.

Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions or examples!

–Kyle

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by kdejute. Reason: tidied up text formatting
    LindaDB3828
    Participant

Thank you, Kyle.

The Nemeth explanation is what I remember, but could never find it in Formats. The nested list makes complete sense in the UEB setting.

kdejute

Well summarized, Laura. I agree. 🤜🤛

–Kyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.