Punctuation in Foreign Language

Home Forums Foreign Language Punctuation in Foreign Language

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kim Lloyd
    Participant

Would we leave a space before the exclamation mark in braille if shown spaced in print?

Nous aimons toutes les activités d'été !

Thank you!

Anna

I suspect that this is just a visual quirk of this particular text.  If it's used throughout the text, whether in all text or within a specific typeform, you can ignore it throughout.

If the spacing is used to draw attention to the exclamation mark, the space can stay in; check the context of the text around it.  (If this is a one-time or occasional thing.)

If the text uses both "exclamation point with a space before" AND "exclamation point with no space before" throughout, that's a little trickier.  If there doesn't seem to be a difference between the use of the two, I would lean toward ignoring the space anyway (because I think it's still most likely to be used for visual distinction rather than any semantic meaning).  In this case, you can add a note on the TN page explaining that these spaces are omitted.

Kim Lloyd
    Participant

Thank you, Anna.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.